Disney has released a sneak peek at the winter issue of Disney twenty-three, which streets on November 1st. The cover story is a nine-page look at TRON: Legacy, which arrives in theaters in December, featuring interviews with Director Joseph Kosinski, Producer Sean Bailey, and actors Bruce Boxleitner and Garrett Hedlund. Steven Lisberger, creator of the original film, speaks of the sequel in this quote which I include due to its rather hilarious truth: “The reason it took the 25 to 28 years is because we needed the ten-year-olds to grow up and be powerful enough to make this movie so that they could take their ten-year-old sons to see it.”
The issue also includes a look at Disney’s new Aulani resort in Hawaii and a retrospective of Disney Chief Archivist Dave Smith’s career as he prepares to retire. For those of us interested in capital-D Disney, there’s a look at the Holiday Season in the Disney house through the eyes of Walt and his family, as well as a story concerning some newly-discovered footage of Walt’s last filmed appearance on the studio soundstages.
Other features listed include:
- THE ULTIMATE DESTINATION: Highlights of D23 Members spending an amazing couple of days at Destination D: Disneyland ’55, a fun-filled celebration of The Happiest Place on Earth.
- PERFECT TIMING: The time is just right for Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Dean Wellins as he makes his directorial debut and prepares to release his charming animated short, Tick Tock Tale.
- LIONS AND TIGERS AND…SANTA? OH MY! The Mickey Mouse Club Circus, one of the wildest shows in Disneyland history, dazzled crowds for six memorable weeks during the 1955 holiday season.
- SMALL-SCREEN ADVENTURES: Walt Disney Television Animation celebrates 25 years of groundbreaking creativity.
- 23 QUESTIONS WITH… Imagineer, celebrated costume designer, and Disney Legend Alice Davis.
- A WALK WITH WALT 1938: DREAMING THE FUTURE: The success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs went far beyond the silver screen.
- D SOCIETY: George Lucas strikes back, Destination D: Disneyland ’55 has arrived, and D23 Members are smack dab in the middle of D23′s Great Disney Scavenger Hunt at the Disneyland Resort.
The latest issue of Disney twenty-three arrives on November 1st in certain retail locations, including Barnes & Noble booksellers. D23 members will receive their issue with a member-exclusive cover, as well as a TRON: Legacy gift. I’m hoping for my own personal Recognizer.